Your oral health plays a significant role in your overall wellness. This perception is enhanced by holistic dentistry with its method of focusing on both your entire body and your oral health. The philosophy of holistic dentistry is the study of how your oral health affects your whole body. Although it’s still utilising traditional dentistry diagnosis and procedures, it is considered by many as alternative dentistry. Good Choice Dental Burwood offers holistic dental care for the whole family. Click on this link to book an appointment.
What is Holistic Dentistry?
Holistic dentistry is technically an offshoot of traditional dentistry that utilises similar methods in diagnostics and treatments with a slightly different approach. In holistic dentistry, you will still be advised of regular brushing, flossing, and rinsing with mouthwash, but other non-conventional methods are suggested. Some examples are nutrition education, aromatherapy, and even hypnosis. For example, you have a specific gum problem like gingivitis or receding gums. A holistic dentist will focus on the effects of nutrition consumption to your oral health as well as the traditional treatment.
Holistic dentists prefer to utilise natural or “biocompatible” materials in all their procedures. The term “biocompatible” means that the materials used will have a positive effect on your body. Before the holistic dentist proceeds in using the biocompatible components, a biocompatibility screening will be conducted first.
These preliminary tests are used to determine the compatibility of the substances to your body. This method can check if the materials will trigger any allergic reactions.
Some of the biocompatible materials are:
- Herbal Mouth Wash
- Herbal Tooth Powder
- Herbal Toothpaste
- Composite Tooth Filling
All these materials passed the FDA and ADA quality checks and are relatively safe. Holistic dentists prefer to use these materials over the traditional materials believing that they are considerably more efficient. They’re approach targets the overall natural healing process instead of the actual treatment.
The Benefits of Holistic Dentistry to your Oral Health
Holistic dentistry is quite popular; however, there’s only a handful of information about the benefits that you can gain from it. With that being said, if you value the organic approach, holistic dentistry might be the best option for you. Using natural components are friendly to the environment and your overall health. These substances rarely produce side-effects with harmful effects. Below is a list of the specific benefits that you can gain from the holistic approach:
- Natural Components
- Overall Health Treatment
- Anti-Mercury and Fluoride Usage
- Non-Conventional Therapies
- Sustainable Materials
- Covers Snoring and Sleep Apnea
- Hypnosis: In holistic dentistry, instead of using anesthetic drugs, hypnosis takes its place. Patients can relax naturally without the possible adverse health effects of anesthesia.
- Homeopathy: Homeopathic treatment is non-addictive and is relatively safe to both adults and children. The most commonly used tranquilisers are foxglove, yellow jasmine, and silver nitrate. These components don’t have side-effects either.
- Aromatherapy: Aromatherapy creates a soothing and positive ambience that can potentially enhance the efficiency of holistic treatment. Oils like lavender, basil, sandalwood, are typically used to promote calm and serenity during sessions.
- Nutrition Education: Holistic dentists strongly believes that the leading cause of oral health problems are the things that we eat. So, instead of focusing on the traditional method of oral hygiene, their suggestions and recommendations focus more on consuming their recommended food groups.
The general approach of holistic dentistry is to promote a healthier lifestyle with the help of natural and organic products. They believe that through this approach, you can achieve better oral health compared with the techniques used in traditional dentistry. You may have noticed from the information above; the process includes more nutrition education and therapies instead of root canals, or cosmetic dentistry procedures. The entire process is entirely safe; however, it is not for everyone.
If you’re more inclined to switch to a better lifestyle rather than focusing on one aspect, such as your oral health, then holistic dentistry is the perfect fit for you. You can still practice the traditional oral health methods and combine them with the holistic approach. The differences are unique, like using an organic toothpaste and mouthwash, but the general outcome is still beneficial to your overall well-being. To achieve total health dental care, then consider holistic dentistry. It might just work out positively for you.